Walk beneath leafy bowers, through ebony lava fields and colorful wildflower meadows, and cross log bridges above singing brooks…
Soak in hot mineral pools with a forest backdrop and the accompaniment of birdsong…
Get maps, brochures, information and any necessary permits at the Adventure Center in Springfield…
Plan your trip to Eugene, Cascades & Coast
Sweet Creek Falls
One of 7 Waterfall Wonders in the Eugene, Cascades & Coast Region
Sweet Creek Falls Trail Complex is located near Mapleton on Hwy 126 inland of the Oregon Coast.
- Four tiered-plunges ranging from 10 to 30 feet (3.0480 - 9.1440 m) cascade for a total of 70 feet (21.336 m) creating a multiple waterfall effect. Many other smaller falls grace the hike in. Sweet Creek Falls is the grand finale.
- This easy, family-friendly 2.2 mile (3.5406 km) hike (Sweet Creek Trail #1319) involves wooden bridges, damp dirt trails and small rivulet jumping. If you like to get your feet wet, wade in the small pools along the way. Please be cautious of slippery mossy rocks and fast moving currents.
- There are four trailheads. For the full hike, start at the Homestead Trailhead - the first one you see. Next is Sweet Creek Falls Trailhead, Wagon Road Trailhead and Beaver Creek Falls Trailhead. Each subsequent trailhead offers a shorter hike.
- There is a section of canyon wall "cat-walk" that is not popular with some dogs.
"We take the kids here routinely on trips to the Oregon Coast. It's an ideal stopping point halfway between Eugene and the beaches, so we get out to stretch our legs and picnic." - Lisa Lawton, Community Relations
"Year-round Sweet Creek Falls offers up an easy-to-access and uniquely enchanting waterfall experience. In spring, wildflowers appear along the path, in summer the air is cool and refreshing, in fall the trail is ablaze with bright colors and in winter the shady grottoes are lush and dripping." - Samara Phelps, Adventure Center Director
Know Before You Go
- It's worth the ten-mile (16.093 km) detour off Hwy 126
- Parking lots at each trailhead
- Restroom with vault toilet at Homestead Trailhead
- Siuslaw National Forest - Oregon Dunes NRA Visitor Center (Reedsport)
- Leashed dogs are welcome on this trail
- No fee or permits required
Fun Nearby Activities
- Alpha-Bit in Mapleton is part organic cafe, part bookstore run by the nearby Alpha Farm community. They're known for their great soups and exceptionally delicious date "cookie" bars.
- Float the mostly languid Siuslaw River and watch for birds and wildlife along the banks.
- Historic Old Town Florence is the perfect place for dinner and an overnight. Amble the wooden docks overlooking the Siuslaw River.
- Adjacent to the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area is camping, canoing, sandboarding, dune buggy tours, horseback riding and golf.
- Drive the scenic byway, Highway 101 to see the Heceta Head Lighthouse and the Sea Lion Caves.
Directions: At Siuslaw Bridge in Mapleton, leave Hwy 126 and drive south on Sweet Creek Rd for 11 miles (17.703 km).