Order a Visitor Guide Today! Plan your trip to Eugene, Cascades & Coast with our official Visitor Guide. FREE trip planning assistance at 800.547.5445.
Travel Lane County
541.484.5307 • 800.547.5445 • EugeneCascadesCoast.org
Adventure Center/Visitor Information: 3312 Gateway St • Springfield OR (Open daily 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
Downtown Eugene Visitor Center: 754 Olive St • Eugene OR (Open Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Mailing Address: PO Box 10286 • Eugene OR 97440
Eugene, Cascades & Coast is home to 20 covered bridges dating back as early as 1920; many are listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Fourteen are still open to traffic. The towns of Cottage Grove ("Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon") and Lowell are natural starting places to begin a covered bridge tour. Scroll down to see details for individual bridges.
Whether you decide to drive through, picnic beside, or sit on the riverbank and dangle your toes in the refreshing waters beneath, exploring the region's nostalgic and romantic covered bridges is the perfect excuse to take a break from the fast lane.
River: McKenzie River Length: 120 feet (37 m) Year Constructed: 1966 Nearest Town: Blue River Follow Hwy 126 east approximately 46 miles to McKenzie Bridge. One mile west of the town Rainbow, turn south on McKenzie River Drive for .8 miles to King Road West.
This pedestrian bridge is located in downtown Cottage Grove at the corner of Main Street and River Road. It was built in 1987 with recycled timbers that were salvaged when the Burmbaugh Bridge was dismantled. Adjacent to the bridge, in the City Hall building, a scale model of the Currin Bridge, shown at the 1986 World's Fair in Vancouver, B.C., is on display. River: Coast Fork of Willamette River Length: 84 feet (26 m) Year Constructed: 1987 Nearest Town: Cottage Grove Located in downtown Cottage Grove adjacent to City Hall on Main Street.
This is the only remaining covered railroad bridge in Oregon and possibly west of the Mississippi River! It was built in 1925 on the Coast Fork of the Willamette River to bring logs to the J.H. Chambers Mill in Cottage Grove. Its sturdy Howe Truss design spans 78 feet. When the railroad was scrapped 1951 it slowly fell into disrepair. Now city-owned, it was restored in 2011 and built to accommodate pedestrian and bicycle crossing. Located only a half mile from Cottage Grove's Main Street. Travel south on Hwy 99 and turn west onto Harrison Ave. Near the intersection of south Old River Road.
Near the little town of Crow, this 60 foot (18 m) Howe Truss bridge crosses Coyote Creek and is still open to light traffic. The bridge was constructed in 1922 as part of Territorial Rd, the state's secondary road system, used until larger truck-friendly roads bypassed it. In 1969 the bridge suffered snow damage to its roof which has since been replaced. Known also as Battle Creek Bridge and Swing Log Bridge. Located south of Veneta. GO WEST ON HWY 126 TO CROW RD GO SW ON CROW, TURN LEFT (SOUTH) ON TERRITORIAL HWY FOR 1 MILE. TURN RIGHT (WEST) ON BATTLE CREEK ROAD FOR 100 YARDS.
This is the only bridge in Oregon that is painted two different colors: white portals and red sides. This 105 foot (32 m) bridge was built in 1925 to replace a dilapidated 1883 bridge spanning the Row River. In 1979, Lane County completed a new concrete bridge just a few feet away and closed the old bridge to traffic. In 1995 the Currin Bridge was rehabilitated and is acessible to pedestrians. Located near Cottage Grove. GO 4 MILES SE ON ROW RIVER RD TO LAYNG RD. LOCATED 1.5 MILES (2.4 KM) ON LAYNG RD. The Mosby Creek Bridge is one mile further along Layng Rd.
A Florence OR covered bridge across Deadwood Creek spanning 105 feet (32 m). In 1932 it was built for the state's secondary road system for the cost of $4,814. Flooring was purposely installed slanted to improve safety for traffic rounding the corner onto the bridge. After a concrete bridge bypass was built in 1970s, Deadwood fell into disrepair. It was rehabilitated it in 1986 and re-opened to traffic. HWY 126 TO HWY 36 NE THROUGH SWISSHOME, 12 MILES (19.31 km) TO DEADWOOD. TURN NORTH ON LOWER DEADWOOD RD. GO APPROX 5 MILES (8 km), TURN RIGHT ON DEADWOOD LOOP RD. BRIDGE AT MILE POINT 0.3.
Located on the south side of Dorena Reservoir and spanning the Row River, the bridge was built to connect Government Road with Row River Road. Constructed in 1949 for $16,547, the 105 foot (32 m) bridge has been since bypassed with a concrete span. This a popular spot for wedding photography. GO 5 MILES EAST OF COTTAGE GROVE ON ROW RIVER RD TO GOVERNMENT RD. CONTINUE EAST ON GOVERNMENT RD 7 MILES TO BRIDGE. LOCATED ON SHOREVIEW DR OFF GAROUTTE RD. Also known as the Row River Bridge or Star Bridge.
The Adams Bridge was originally built spanning the Mohawk River in 1903. It was replaced in 1938 for $2,449, at a length of 75 feet (23 m) and renamed "Earnest" after a longtime local resident. The movie Shenandoah was filmed in the Mohawk Valley during the mid-1960s and an altered version of Earnest Bridge reflecting Civil War architecture shows in the film. The bridge was returned to its pre-movie condition in 1965. FROM I5 EXIT I-105 EAST TO MARCOLA RD. FOLLOW MARCOLA RD. 14 MILES. LOCATED ON PASCHELKE RD JUST OFF MARCOLA.
River: McKenzie River Length: 165 feet (50 m) Year Constructed: 1938 Nearest Town: Vida Located just off Highway 126 at the Leaburg Dam near Vida.
Stream: Lake Creek Length: 105 feet (32 m) Year Constructed: 1928 Nearest Town: Greenleaf Located on Nelson Mountain Road, just off Highway 36, 30 miles west of Highway 99.
This historic covered bridge, built in 1945, has an interpretive display on covered bridges. A great spot next to Dexter Lake and Highway 58. River: Willamette River Length: 165 feet (50 m) Year Constructed: 1945 Nearest Town: Lowell Located just off Highway 58 at the Lowell intersection.
Drive through the Mosby Creek Bridge, also on Layng Road, which was named after David Mosby, a pioneer who staked a donation land claim nearby in 1853. Built in 1920 for $4,125, the 90 foot span is the oldest surviving covered bridge in the Eugene, Cascades & Coast region, and the only local covered bridge open to traffic. Mosby Creek Bridge was restored in 1990. This is a great starting place to explore the Row River Trail. Stream: Mosby Creek Length: 90 feet (27 m) Year Constructed: 1920 Nearest Town: Cottage Grove Located on Layng Road east of Cottage Grove.
Also known as Westfir Bridge or Office Creek Covered Bridge. River: North Fork Willamette River Length: 180 feet (55 m) Year Constructed: 1944 Nearest Town: Westfir Located at the north edge of the town of Westfir.
Stream: Lost Creek Length: 75 feet (23 m) Year Constructed: 1921 Nearest Town: Dexter Located southeast of Pleasant Hill, off Rattlesnake Road on Lost Valley Lane.
Built in 1930, this 60 foot bridge located on Garoutte Road was open to vehicular traffic until 1982, despite heavy damage. It has been restored and is now a pedestrian bridge. Stream: Mosby Creek Length: 60 feet (18 m) Year Constructed: 1930 Nearest Town: Cottage Grove Located on Layng Road off Mosby Creek Road near Cottage Grove
Stream: Big Fall Creek Length: 90 feet (27 m) Year Constructed: 1936 Nearest Town: Lowell Located 2.8 miles (4.5 km) north of the community of Lowell on Lowell-Unity Road.
Stream: Wildcat Creek Length: 75 feet (23 m) Year Constructed: 1925 Nearest Town: Walton Located near Siuslaw Road off Highway 126 near Mapleton.
This information was gathered from numerous sources.
To the best of our knowledge the information is accurate, but not guaranteed.