Parvin Covered Bridge
Parvin Covered Bridge, also known as "Lost Creek Bridge," is a little off the beaten path but well worth the drive. Set in a spectacular rural landscape, it has all the romantic charm one desires in a covered bridge.
The underside of the bridge is easy to view with a short hike down to the water's edge.
- Design - Covered Howe truss
- Length - 75 feet (23 m)
- Crosses - Lost Creek
- Nearest Town - Lowell, OR
- Current Access - Vehicles up to 20 tons, maximum height 11'11''
- Built - 1880s (original)
- Replaced - 1921
- Closed to traffic - 1970s
- National Register - 1979
- Renovated/Reopened - 1986
- Refurbished - 1996
Originally a 66-foot (20 m) bridge spanned Lost Creek, a tributary of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River near the 1880s homestead of early pioneer settlers James and Salina Parvin. He ran a store and served as postmaster for eleven years. He was also active in the Dexter church. Their family cemetery plot is located in Pleasant Hill.
In 1917, the first Parvin Bridge failed an inspection when significant worm damage and decay was noted. In 1921, George Breeding constructed an entirely new single lane bridge for a cost of $3,617 nearby. This became today's Parvin Bridge.
The new bridge was bypassed in the 1970s when the road was realigned. For years it was only accessible to pedestrians. However, a renewed interest in Oregon's covered bridges prompted Lane County to renovate and reopen the bridge to vehicular traffic in 1986. The granddaughters of James and Salina Parvin attended the re-dedication ceremony. In 1996, OBEC Consulting Engineers installed a new roof, replaced some supports, added new bridge rails, siding and paint. The bridge was raised an additional foot for increased clearance from river debris.
- Pengra, Unity, Lowell and Cannon Street covered bridges are within a 10 mile (16 km) radius
- Mt. Zion, an ancient volcanic cone, can be seen from the vicinity of the bridge
- Parvin Butte, the center of gravel mining disputes, is nearby
- The 1949 Dexter Lake Club, filmed in the 1977 movie "Animal House," is on the way to the bridge. At this time it is closed
- Lost Valley Ln, Dexter OR 97431
- Book Now