Feel the exhilarating tingle of fresh air and rushing water as you journey into the Cascade Mountains along the McKenzie River. Revel in the solitude among sun-soaked old-growth forests, then find camaraderie in the half dozen riverside communities.
- Ride the crystal clear rapids of the McKenzie River.
- Wade in waist-deep to fly fish along gentle river stretches.
- Soak in a hot spring-fed swimming pool above the McKenzie River.
- Feel the thundering spray from massive falls along a waterfall trail loop.
- Pedal up and over McKenzie Pass between melting snowdrifts.
- Identify over a dozen snow-capped mountain peaks presiding over a gleaming obsidian landscape.
- Have a pint of local brew on the back patio at Obsidian Grill and soak in the sunshine or warm up by a fire pit.
- Watch chainsaw-wielding artists transform stumps into intricate sculptures.
- Grab some comfort food at Takoda's.
- Infuse your afternoon with the scent of fresh lavender from nearby fields and bring some home to remember your trip.
Relax at the Lodge
Another great thing about the McKenzie River are the numerous yet secluded riverfront lodges, cabins and campgrounds. Most of the lodging is snug along waterways or tucked up into woodsy acreage. Reserve a collection of cabins for a large group reunion or sneak away from everything to a cozy B&B.
From luxurious lodges to sleeping under the stars in a wooded campground, there are plenty of places to stay.