A load of excitement with teams from across the United States all fighting for their place on the podium and there were many spectacular moments. Student-athletes qualified to be at this prestigious meet through hard work and dedication. We are, of course, talking about the 2016 NCAA Division I Men’s & Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championships that happened June 8 - June 11 at historic Hayward Field , right here in Eugene, OR. We watched 4 days of exciting competition as the best male and female collegiate athletes competed for individual and team titles. Our staff spent the days leading up to the meet in the lobbies of key hotels, greeting NCAA visitors and providing materials and information to help athletes and visitors alike enjoy their stay in our city – a service we often provide to our sports events. It’s really exciting to experience the buzz in the air when the NCAA’s come to town. We hope that our athletes and fans enjoyed their time in TrackTown USA, because we loved having them here!
With the excitement of the NCAA DI Track & Field Championships behind us, Eugene switched gears towards that little track meet we call the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Track & Field ! America’s best track and field athletes have journeyed to Eugene to compete for a coveted spot on the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team headed to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Olympic Trials at Hayward provides a fan experience unlike any other. The festivities include live entertainment, interactive displays and numerous vendors. It’s truly a track and field festival that only TrackTown USA can put on. Not to mention the competition! During the 2012 Trials, Ashton Easton set the world record in the decathlon! "With both NCAA and the Trials, we worked with and supplied all visitor information material for key hotel welcome tables. As well as managing the housing and accommodations for media, officials, guests and athletes for the Trials," said Jessica Shefferman, Director of Event Operations at Eugene, Cascades & Coast Sports Commission. "Specifically for the Trials, we worked with TrackTown USA on compiling a comprehensive event resource guide for hotels, a go-to handbook of information for spectators and athletes alike and created the TrackTown16 microsite to have key event information available digitally." Ten days of action packed running, throwing, chasing, flying, leaping and much, much more.
Things to see During the Trials:
- Daily Schedule or check out the official TrackTownUSA app
- July 5 - See TrackTown at the Oregon Premiere
- See maps, get tickets, learn everything that's going on with the TrackTown USA app
- Fan Festival - FREE
- Wander through the festival area and get a bite at the Rio Beach Cafe to taste delicious dishes authentic to Rio
- Stop in at the Nike Activation area to see a series of impressive domes and connecting tunnels transporting fans on scheduled tours through Nike's exciting innovations, as well as through the history of Nike which is deeply rooted in TrackTown USA
- Enjoy a variety of live entertainment every day of the festival
- Youth & Community Events at Hayward Field
- Saturday, July 2 - Nike Elite High School Mile Exhibition, Open 100 Meters Exhibition, USATF Oregon 100 Meters Exhibition
- Sunday, July 3 - USATF Masters 1500 Meters Exhibition
- Wednesday, July 6 - OTC All-Comer's Meet - Immediately following the Hammer
- Saturday, July 9 - TrackTown Youth League at 6:30 p.m.
- More event details.
- For Competition Results visit GoTrackTownUSA.com
Let The Sports Commission Help Make Your TrackTown Dreams a Reality.