2023 Scandinavian Festival
Dates:August 10, 2023 - August 13, 2023
Location:Junction City Scandinavian Festival Association
Address:W 6th Ave & Greenwood St, Junction City, OR 97448
Time:Thursday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Celebrating the legacy of their cultural heritage of Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway, the residents of Junction City produce an amazing four day festival every August. Three stages of entertainment are filled with choral and instrumental groups, folk dancers and informational presentations. This will be the festival's 62nd event.
The Scandinavian Festival commences with a processional parade to the Festival Park Stage. Scandinavian and Nordic culture, dancing and musical entertainment reigns throughout the festival. Community members rehearse all summer long, and it all comes together in traditional dances performed in full costume.
The smorgasbord of food is also a festival highlight with traditional favorites from Swedish meat pies to Ebelskivers (Danish pancakes). Of course, you can find all the common street fair choices like shave ice and corn on the cob, but while at the Scandinavian Festival, do what the Vikings do and eat Scandinavian.
Speaking of Vikings, you'll see them moving through the crowds, and if you are lucky, you may even spot a troll or two.
All the vendors at the Scandinavian Festival dress in traditional garb, so attending is an immersive experience. There are demonstrations of blacksmithing, spinning, knitting, tatting lace and Hardanger embroidery. Enjoy Scandinavian storytelling, glean Scandinavian cooking tips or pick up some Nordic dance steps.
And don't forget the shopping! Pick up t-shirts that say "I heart Finland!" or flags from your favorite Scandinavian country. Vendors display handmade clothing, soaps, jewelry, glass, woodcrafts, paintings and pottery. Find unusual handicrafts of Scandinavian culture such as Hardanger Embroidery, bobbin lace and Rosemaling.
TIPS FOR ATTENDING
- Be prepared for hot weather. Wear sunblock and a hat, and bring plenty of water.
- Bring cash because many of the vendors may not be able to take credit cards. Admission and entertainment is free — but there are wonderful things to buy.
- If there is a particular show you want to enjoy, arrive early for seats as standing-room only is often the case by start time.
- Plan a meeting place for your group or family. The blue and white windmill at the center of the festival serves as visitor information and is an easily spotted landmark.
- If you identify with a particular Scandinavian or Nordic culture, attend on the day that country is highlighted.
2023 Scandinavian Festival
- Junction City Scandinavian Festival Association
- Recurring daily