Running & TrackTown USA
For anyone who has experienced the electrifying atmosphere of Hayward Field at the University of Oregon or jogged along the same running trails where Olympic athletes train, it's no surprise that Eugene is called a runner's paradise, the epicenter of track and field, and TrackTown USA. Discover the heart and home of track and field, from the soft thump of shoes on the chip trails to the roar of the fans at track meets.
The TrackTown USA Legacy
- Host of the first World Athletics Championships held in the U.S. in 2022
- Host of the first Diamond League Final held in the U.S. in 2023
- Host of seven U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Track and Field
- Host to 47 Prefontaine Classics - Diamond League since 2010
- Host to 17 NCAA D1 Outdoor Track & Field Championships
- Host to 11 USATF Outdoor Championships
- Host to three NSAF Outdoor Nationals high school championships
- Host to the 2014 USA Junior Outdoor Track and Field Championships
- Host to the 2014 U.S. debut of the IAAF World Junior Championships
- Diamond League Prefontaine Classic
- University of Oregon Collegiate Track Season
- OSAA Track & Field Championships 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A
- Eugene Marathon
- Oregon Track Club Masters Hayward Classic
- Bill Dellinger Invitational Cross Country Event
From the legend of Steve Prefontaine to Bill Bowerman's innovative creation of the waffle sole to the birth of Nike by UO Alum Phil Knight, Eugene —and its surrounding communities— is steeped in a rich running history and culture. Ranked among the best places for running, watching track and field events and for just being an all-out sports fan, Eugene is consistently noted for its athletic amenities and spirit.
Being a spectator, however, is optional. Join the camaraderie of fellow running enthusiasts by participating in one of a number of community runs. Lace up for the Eugene Marathon, the Butte to Butte or All-Comers' Track and Field Meet.
Cheer on friends or partake in a trail run through scenic forests, a classic road race such as the Aquafina Butte to Butte or the Eugene Marathon, a fun "mud run," an easy walk for charity, or even a youth track day. Around here a 5K naturally augments any type of celebration or gathering!