Salt Creek Falls
This stunning waterfall is easy to see and worth the stop every time.
Salt Creek Falls Observation Site and Picnic Area is located near Oakridge - Westfir in the Cascade Mountains.
- Salt Creek Falls is Oregon's second highest single drop waterfall, cascading 286 feet (87m). (Multnomah Falls is the highest.)
- Salt Creek Falls is one of Oregon's most powerful falls, with an average yearly flow of 50,000 gallons per minute surging over the rocks.
- The primary observation platform at the top of the waterfall is only 50 yards (45.720 m) from the parking lot. The platform is wheelchair accessible with railings that accommodate wheelchair sight-lines.
- A loop gravel trail (Salt Creek Falls Trail #3673) with interpretive signage offers a short hike with multiple vantage points along the canyon rim.
- A steep trail from the platform to the waterfall's base is short, but is not wheelchair accessible due to numerous stairs. The best viewpoint is said to be halfway down this path.
Know Before You Go
- Large paved parking lot
- Wheelchair accessible restrooms with flush toilet
- Picnic area
- Willamette National Forest - Middle Fork Ranger District
- Day Use Fee Area ($5 a vehicle) or Recreation Pass required. Permits may be purchased at the Adventure Center in Springfield
- Facilities close in winter
- Adjacent the Salt Creek Sno-Park in winter
- Connects to Diamond Creek Falls Trail #3598
- Connects to Vivian Lake Trail #3662
Directions: Salt Creek Falls Observation Site is 23 miles (37.015 km) southeast of Oakridge and approximately 5 miles (8.0467 km) west of Willamette Pass. From Hwy 58 look for the signs, turn onto FS Road 5893 and follow the signs.
This is the second tallest waterfall in Oregon, plunging 286 ft (87.2 m). The Salt Creek Falls Observation Site is wheelchair accessible right off the parking lot. From the observation deck…
Best Winter Waterfalls
Sure, they're easy to visit in the summer – but intrepid road trippers who bundle up and… Read More
Two Snowshoeing Adventures in Oakridge
Looking for winter fun close to Eugene? Snowshoeing in the Cascades is a perfect option for a day… Read More