Office Covered Bridge
Also called "Westfir Covered Bridge," the Office Bridge is bright red and features a separate pedestrian walkway alongside its high-roofed, one-lane crossing. It is also the longest covered bridge in Oregon.
For the holidays, Office Bridge is festively lit up with lights which are ceremonially switched on by Santa Claus driving a fire truck.
- Built - 1924 (original)
- Replaced - 1941 (second)
- Replaced - 1944 (third)
- National Register - 1979
- Closed - 1980s
- Reopoened - 1992
- Refurbished - 1993 and 2002
The Westfir community started as a company town belonging to the Westfir Lumber Company. Other smaller mills had previously operated in the vicinity and a bridge already spanned the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River where the mill pond was located. High waters washed out the original bridge, so a second was built in 1941 to provide access from the mill to the Westfir Lumber Company's administrative offices. This bridge lasted only four years before a storm took it out too. The third and current bridge was built higher to avoid storm waters and was designed to handle the size and load of logging trucks. It is the only bridge in Oregon with a separate pedestrian walk way. Windows provide excellent views of the river. The bridge is also constructed with triple trusses and is an impressive 180 feet (55 m) long.
In 1977 the bridge and other holdings were divested by Westfir Lumber Company. In the early 80s the mill burned down and the privately-owned bridge was closed. The property passed through several private holdings until, in 1992, Lane County foreclosed on the current owners for back taxes. At that time the county initiated structural repairs and reopened the bridge. A small park with restrooms was also established at the north end of the bridge where it is the trail head for the North Fork Trail. With the proximity of trail heads, the Willamette River and the ski slopes; this is a hub for cyclists, hikers, paddlers, anglers, skiers and drivers touring the region. Office Bridge was given a new roof in 2002.
Office Bridge is available for special events through the City of Westfir.
- The Westfir Lodge and Kitchen, formerly the Westfir Lumber Company offices, provides room and board for adventurers. See the original safe and other sawmill mementos. Meals are served up in the cozy dining room or out on the patio
- The North Fork Trail is a beautiful and gentle hike along the river
- "Wild and Scenic" section of the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River
- Nearby Oakridge is considered the "Mountain Biking Capital of the Northwest" with a multitude of superb mountain biking trails
- 3 Legged Crane Pub and Brewhouse in Oakridge pours traditional cask ale at their popular craft brewery
- Aufderheide scenic byway and bikeway connects Westfir/Oakridge with the McKenzie River
- Access the Pacific Crest Trail for a day hike
- Westfir-Oakridge Rd, Westfir OR 97492
- Book Now