Soldiers Memorial (Civil War)
Address:18th Ave & University St
Eugene OR 97401
Located in the Pioneer Cemetery beside the University of Oregon campus, a 25-ft tall statue of a Union solider is surrounded by 51 graves of Civil War veterans. The plot is called the Grand Army of the Republic or G.A.R. and was purchased in 1887 by General John W. Geary. In 1903 the statue was erected. In 2001, the statue's head was vandalized but replaced with a new carved head in 2003. The Pioneer Cemetery was founded in 1872.