Guide to the Oregon Coast in Any Weather
The Oregon Coast is beautiful in all weather. Hike seaside cliff trails with far-reaching views on sunny days. Watch the light from the brightest lighthouse on the Oregon Coast penetrate banks of rolling fog. Experience the drama of a coastal storm from the comfort of a cozy restaurant.
Historic Old Town Florence offers fresh seafood, local art galleries, Siuslaw River views and some of the finest coffee on the coast. Spend the wetter hours browsing the shops and chatting with locals. There is no bad weather, just poor clothing choices!
Is it Foggy?
- Tour the public art in Historic Old Town Florence
- Visit the Heceta Head Lighthouse
- Delve into fascinating history at the Oregon Coast Military Museum
- Watch the boats come in at the Siuslaw Harbor
- Ride horses along the beach with C&M Stables
- Hike one of the many coastal trails
- Metal detect along the beach
Is it Rainy?
- Storm watch from the Surfside Restaurant with its floor-to-ceiling windows
- Hit the indoor pool or hot tub back at your hotel
- Catch a movie at City Lights Cinema
- Check out the performing arts or events at Florence Events Center
- Get cozy with a good book and a glass of wine or mug of cocoa
- Visit the famous Sea Lion Caves
- Shop the outstanding collection of boutiques in Historic Old Town Florence
- Play at the Three Rivers Casino
- Order up a delicious bowl of clam chowder on Bay Street
- Put on some winter clothes and try any of the sunny day activities
Is it Sunny?
- Learn to sandboard
- Tour the dunes by dune buggy
- Swing a club at Florence Golf Links
- Fish off the pier or from a boat
- Fly a kite or build a sand castle on the beach
- Hunt for agates on the beach
- Whale watch or view the sunset from scenic overlooks
- Kayak on a coastal lake
- Go birding along the bluffs
Be Prepared For Changing Weather
All seasons on the Oregon Coast experience some shifting weather patterns, so dress in layers and bring a jacket. Plan ahead but then be flexible with your choices of coastal activities. There are so many great things to do on the coast in any weather.