Guide to the Oregon Coast in Any Weather
The Oregon Coast is beautiful in all weather. Hike seaside cliff trails with far-reaching views on sunny days. Watch the light from the brightest lighthouse on the Oregon Coast penetrate banks of rolling fog. Experience the drama of a coastal storm from the comfort of a cozy restaurant.
Historic Old Town Florence offers fresh seafood, local art galleries, Siuslaw River views and some of the finest coffee on the coast. Spend the wetter hours browsing the shops and chatting with locals. Temperatures on the coast are fairly mild, meaning that you can have a great adventure no matter the weather as long as you are prepared with the proper attire.
Cape Creek Bridge, HWY 101 in the Fog by Melanie Griffin
Is it Foggy?
- Tour the public art in Historic Old Town Florence
- Visit the Heceta Head Lighthouse
- Delve into history at the Oregon Coast Military Museum
- Watch the boats come in at the Siuslaw Harbor
- Ride horses along the beach with C&M Stables
- Hike one of the many coastal trails
- Beachcomb for treasures
- Late summer to early winter, go crabbing for Dungeness Crab
Is it Rainy?
- Storm watch from The Market at Driftwood Shores with its floor-to-ceiling windows
- Hit the indoor pool or hot tub back at your hotel
- Catch a movie at City Lights Cinema
- Check out the performing arts or events at Florence Events Center
- Get cozy with a good book and a glass of wine or mug of cocoa
- Visit the famous Sea Lion Caves
- Shop at the boutiques in Historic Old Town Florence - tax-free!
- Play at the Three Rivers Casino
- Order up a delicious bowl of clam chowder on Bay Street
- Put on some winter clothes and try any of the sunny day activities
- Live like a royal with High Tea at Lovejoy's Tearoom
Is it Sunny?
- Learn to sandboard
- Tour the dunes by dune buggy
- Practice your swing at Florence Golf Links
- Fish off the pier or from a boat
- Fly a kite or build a sandcastle on the beach
- Hunt for agates on the beach
- Whale watch or view the sunset from scenic overlooks
- Kayak on a coastal lake
- Go birding along the bluffs
- Explore the tidepools during low tide
Be Prepared For Changing Weather
All seasons on the Oregon Coast experience some shifting weather patterns, so dress in layers and bring a jacket. Plan ahead but then be flexible with your choices of coastal activities. There are so many great things to do on the coast in any weather.