Feel the exhilarating tingle of fresh air and rushing water as you journey into the Cascade Mountains along the McKenzie River. Revel in the solitude among sun-soaked old-growth forests, then find camaraderie in the half dozen riverside communities.
McKenzie River is known for its world-class white water rafting, fishing and waterfall hikes. The McKenzie River Trail (MRT) edges the banks of the river for outstanding hiking, trail running and mountain biking. Artisan enclaves provide festivals, markets and cultural experiences in this natural wonderland of old growth forests, hot springs and crystal clear waterways.
McKenzie River Lodging
Stay along the McKenzie River for an authentic Northwest experience. Most of the lodging is snug along waterways or tucked up into woodsy acreage. Options include riverfront lodges, fishing cabins, charming B&Bs, quiet vacation rentals and scenic campgrounds. Curl up by the fireplace, soak in the spa tub or browse the bookshelves in a cozy cabin. Groups will enjoy clusters of cabins or large roomy lodges. And for those that believe sleeping under the stars is best, there are numerous idyllic campgrounds.
Please Check Back
These lodging properties were impacted by the 2020 Holiday Farm Fire. They are temporarily closed for rebuilding or repairs. Please check back with them for future reservations.
- Blue Heaven Cabin at Heavens Gate
- Knollhaven McKenzie River Cabin
- McKenzie River Round House B&B
- The Oregon Cliff House
McKenzie River Food & Drink
Dig into something delicious at a local restaurant along the McKenzie River. From pizza and pulled pork sandwiches or an organic salad made with locally sourced ingredients, these delectable dishes taste even better after a day spent exploring the grand landscapes of the river valley. Some local dining establishments can be very busy in high-season, so it is smart to plan ahead. You may even want to stock up on provisions on the way out of town or shop the Blue Sky Market or McKenzie General Store for extra treats and convenient picnic goods.
- Ride the crystal clear rapids of the McKenzie River.
- Wade in waist-deep to fly fish along gentle river stretches.
- Soak in a hot spring-fed swimming pool above the McKenzie River.
- Feel the thundering spray from massive falls along a waterfall trail loop.
- Pedal up and over McKenzie Pass between melting snowdrifts.
- Identify over a dozen snow-capped mountain peaks presiding over a gleaming obsidian landscape.
- Have a pint of local brew on the back patio at Obsidian Grill and soak in the sunshine or warm up by a fire pit.
- Watch chainsaw-wielding artists transform stumps into intricate sculptures.
- Grab some comfort food at Takoda's.
- Infuse your afternoon with the scent of fresh lavender from nearby fields and bring some home to remember your trip.