From haunted houses to trunk-or-treats, we're shining light into the darkest corners of the county to find exciting things to do this October.
Picking Your Pumpkins
Many local farms offer u-pick pumpkin patches. Enjoy harvesting pumpkins, gourds and seasonal sunflowers. Get your hands and boots dirty and take some fun seasonal photos.
HAUNTED HOUSES, HAYRIDES & HIKES
The Heceta Head Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast has tantalizing lore retold by locals and if you are brave enough, it's a charming and genteel Halloween overnight.
But a better bet for getting spooked is the drive through haunted hayride past the 1910 Tomseth House in Dorris Ranch. The nighttime ramble through the filbert orchard is chock-full of zombies, ghosts, mummies and historic figures eager to reach out and touch you.
Or add some milder excitement to a lovely, leafy autumn hike! Nearby Nature features an annual children's haunted hike in Alton Baker Park, spotlighting nighttime critters from moths to bats. Meander a Jack-o'lantern-lined hiking trail at the height of Oregon's fall foliage.
TRICK OR TREATING
On October 31, regional shopping districts, indoor malls, community centers and city programs commonly coordinate safer trick or treating environments for children. Popular destinations include 5th Street Public Market and Valley River Center.
Spirits in a Fancy Glass
Toast your ancestors, or bygone follies, at a popular local haunt. Thinking Tree Spirits has mixed up some spooky cocktails available until the witching hour on October 31. Sip on Fig & Loathing, black fig infused Thinking Tree Spirits Main Stage vodka, with black currant liqueur, a dash of dry vermouth garnished with a lychee and a cherry eyeball; or tempt yourself with Corpse Reviver, made with Thinking Tree Spirits Gifted Gin, a house-made orange liqueur, Lillet Blanc, fresh lemon juice, and a dash of Absinthe with an orange peel skeleton hand garnish. Do you dare?
More Spooky Ideas
- Scary movies — Stay home and scare yourself. Or if horror is not your thing, check out movies that feature Lane County! Order pizza or pop some popcorn. If you get really inspired make some popcorn balls!
- Taste chowder in Florence — nothing like sipping warm chowder while looking out over a foggy ocean.
- Bake an apple pie — Instead of picking pumpkins, pick local apples, then spend Halloween being domestic.
- Carve your pumpkins — This is good old fashioned fun!
- Chuck some axes — Oregon Axe offers a unique sport for those 12 and up.